Protests erupt in Minneapolis over man fatally shot by deputies | Minneapolis

Protesters faced off with police officers in Minneapolis early on Saturday over the shooting of a man by members of a US Marshals taskforce.

It was the second night of protests in response to the fatal shooting on Thursday in the Uptown neighborhood.

Three people were killed in separate shootings in the city early Saturday, authorities said, though none were related to the protests.

Photos from the scene following a vigil for Winston Boogie Smith Jr, who was 32, showed dumpster fires in the street and a line of officers standing guard.

Members of the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force were trying to arrest Smith on a warrant for allegedly being a felon in possession of a gun.

Authorities said Smith fired a gun before two deputies shot him while he was inside a parked vehicle.

Family and friends described Smith as a father of three often harassed by police. They demanded transparency in the investigation and asked that anyone who might have video footage should come forward.

Police said some people vandalized buildings and stole from businesses after the shooting on Thursday. Nine people were arrested on possible charges including suspicion of riot, assault, arson and damage to property.

Minneapolis has been on edge since the killing of George Floyd just over a year ago, and the fatal shooting of Daunte Wright by an officer in nearby Brooklyn Center in April.

Wright was killed as the city awaited a verdict in the trial of the officer who killed Floyd when he knelt on his neck for more than nine minutes.

Derek Chauvin was convicted of murder.

In first of the shootings in the city overnight into Saturday, police were called at 1.37am to North Memorial Health Hospital in Robbinsdale, where a woman died on arrival after being shot in a hail of bullets, department spokesman John Elder said. Investigators did not think she was the intended target. No arrests were made.

Eleven minutes later, police were called to an area of East Lake Street under a bridge. A wounded man was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he died, Elder said.

Witnesses said the man was struck by a stray bullet fired by people who had been street racing, Elder said. The victim had pulled over to watch and was standing beside his car when he was hit. No arrests were made.

Just after 2am, Metro Transit police officers in the area of Hennepin Avenue and South Fifth Street encountered a scene in which one man fatally shot another. One officer pursued the suspect and shot him in the leg, police said. The man was treated at hospital and taken to the Hennepin County jail.